Thursday, July 10, 2008

Pioneers Part of my Heritage


I love the pioneers. I have always loved the pioneers. I will always love the pioneers.

I cannot think of the month of July without thinking about the pioneers.

As the Mormon pioneers entered the Salt Lake Valley on July 24, 1847 and found a place of rest from their long travel across the plains of the United States, Brigham Young uttered the infamous statement, "This is the Place!"

It was just that, a place where they could rest for a season from the persecution of the world, and remain temporarily untouched by others.

I am reminded of the stories of my own pioneer ancestors that crossed the plains, not necessarily in that first company, but in subsequent companies that also arrived in that valley. I appreciate the hardships and sacrifices they made to make the trip.

One story in particular has always brought a smile to my face. It is the story of Susanna Stone and Thomas Lloyd. Thomas was a saddle and harness maker and in his proposal of marriage to Susanna he offered to "share his harness" with her. For a token of that commitment he gave her his most prized possession, the yoke he had left over after having driven his ox-team across the plains.

I have always loved that story, as he knew how important it was to become "equally yoked" with each other as the Lord was in the drivers seat.

My only hope is that I too can be an example and pioneer to those who may follow me, and that with my husband we can become equally yoked and submissive to the commands of the driver.

Again I must confess, I love pioneers.

5 comments:

Kristin said...

Wait. I'm not quite clear. Do you love pioneers?

Anonymous said...

Yes, Kristin to clarify.... I LOVE the pioneers. lol

L.M. Steimle said...

haha, i love pioneers too. i think we should have a party celebrate pioneer day in the branch!

Unknown said...

Thanks for that sweet story. It is endearing and.... the message is true!

I talked to a man who owned several oxen. He said that if one can pull 1,200 lbs. and the other can pull 1,000 lbs. you'd assume that they could pull 2,200 lbs. together. But, in reality - if they are equally yoked -- they can pull about 4,000-5,000 lbs. I loved that lesson and the scripture that teaches us about taking the Savior's yoke upon us!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the story. I am married to a Lloyd that is one of the hundreds of descendants of Thomas Lloyd. Suzanna Stone's story is well known in the family and was even told in general conference once. I am speaking on Sunday and wanted to tell of Thomas' side of the story.

David (in Draper Utah)