Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother Is Another Word For Teacher

Firstly, I want to send a Happy Mother’s Day greeting to all the wonderful Mothers out there. Yesterday I posted my feelings about my Mother-In-Law and how it took me a lifetime to come to understand and fully love her. She was simply a harder woman to love than some, but by doing research into her life I came to respect her for who she was. I believe that was the way the Lord helped me to strengthen my Eternal family ties. So if you are struggling with a Mother-In-Law/ Daughter –In-Law relationship, have patience and understand that this is a refining process for both of you. Perhaps a story of one who loved their MIL tenderly may brighten your day. The story is the one of Ruth and Naomi. For a brief synopsis of it please feel free to go here and read it.
 
Secondly, today is my mother’s Day. Oh, how grateful I am to my very own mother. My mother has always been a teacher in the very sense of the word. Not only did she willingly sacrifice to teach her own children and grandchildren, but for over thirty years she taught other children too. She was probably the best kindergarten teacher the world has known. Yes, my mother is definitely a teacher! She has taught me so many things; mere words can not express my feelings for this great woman.

  
Gordon B. Hinckley once gave a talk called “Your Greatest Challenge, Mother” where he stated, “I know of no better answer to these foul practices that confront our young people than the teachings of a mother, given in love with an unmistakable warning.”
He then gave a list of things that a mother needs to teach their children.
  • Teach your children when they are very young and small, and never quit.
  • Teach them to seek for good friends.
  • Teach them to value education.
  • Teach them to respect their bodies.
  • Teach your sons and daughters to avoid illegal drugs as they would the plague.
  • Teach them to be honest.
  • Teach them to be virtuous.
  • Teach them to pray.
These things and many more, my dear mother has taught to me.
Near the end of his address he gave a prophetic warning to all mothers, “Do not trade your birthright as a mother for some bauble of passing value. Let your first interest be in your home. The baby you hold in your arms will grow quickly as the sunrise and the sunset of the rushing days. I hope that when that occurs you will not be led to exclaim as did King Lear, ‘How sharper than a serpent’s tooth it is to have a thankless child!’ (King Lear, I, iv, 312). Rather, I hope that you will have every reason to be proud concerning your children, to have love for them, to have faith in them, to see them grow in righteousness and virtue before the Lord, to see them become useful and productive members of society. If with all you have done there is an occasional failure, you can still say, ‘At least I did the very best of which I was capable. I tried as hard as I knew how. I let nothing stand in the way of my role as a mother.’ Failures will be few under such circumstances.”

For heeding the words of this great prophet of God, my dear mother, I simply must say “thank you”. For teaching me all I need to know to be a mother myself, I can say no other praise but “I love you”.

Your great work is shown by the lives of your children and grandchildren. I am assured that when the great day comes, you will hear the words of the Father praising your works, “Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.”

Happy Mother’s Day, Mom.

No comments: