Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Kirtland Temple An Answer to Prayers

I love Section 110 of the Doctrine and Covenants. It is such a beautiful illustration of how the Lord specifically listens to, and answers our petitions.

In Section 109 during the dedicatory prayer, the prophet Joseph Smith pointedly asked for three things concerning the House of the Lord:

1) for the Father to accept the house as His

2) for the house to be a place where He could put his name

3) for His house to be a place where He could manifest himself to his people.

All three of these requests were answered one week later during the Sunday service held on April 3, 1836 in the Kirtland Temple. The Lord appeared to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery and answered them saying:

Doctrine and Covenants 110:6 Let the hearts of your brethren rejoice, and let the hearts of all my people rejoice, who have, with their might, built this house to my name.

7 For behold, I have accepted this house, and my name shall be here; and I will manifest myself to my people in mercy in this house.

8 Yea, I will appear unto my servants, and speak unto them with mine own voice, if my people will keep my commandments, and do not pollute this holy house.

This is such a great illustration of what my friend Donna so beautifully shared on her Blog:

Matthew 7:7- Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:

The first word of Matthew 7:7 is a handy key for the memorizing of the entire verse: the word is "ASK"; and the three phrases of that verse begin, respectively, with A (ask), S (seek), and K (knock).

Section 110 is a record of four different visions that take place in the Kirtland Temple during that day. My next few posts will deal directly with each of those visions individually.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi In the Doghouse - I thought you might be interested in my related post about the Kirtland Temple Pentecost.