Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Increased Obedience 1 Nephi 2-3

In my last post I talked about how we obey for different reasons. Lehi was motivated to obey out of gratitude and love for his Father in Heaven, whereas Laman and Lemuel were obedient because of fear. It is interesting to observe the process that Nephi followed to become obedient for the right reasons.
Verse 16, in 1 Nephi Chapter 2, explains the process Nephi went through to become more obedient to the Lord:
2:16 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, being exceedingly young, nevertheless being large in stature, and also having great desires to know of the mysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry unto the Lord; and behold he did visit me, and did soften my heart that I did believe all the words which had been spoken by my father; wherefore, I did not rebel against him like unto my brothers.
The process Nephi experienced, simply put, is a desire to know, and the willingness to ask. I believe the Lord gives this same instruction when He admonishes us to “seek and ye shall find, knock and the door shall be opened unto you.” I believe that understanding the simplicity of the process is one of the “plain and precious truths” the Book of Mormon reveals to us. I love how Nephi makes it known that seeking for the mysteries of God are acceptable and, in fact, necessary if we are to be visited by Him. I also love how Nephi describes the way he asks the Lord by using the term “cry”. When I think of crying versus simply asking, it brings to my mind a process of a repentant, humble petition.
Do you think many are blinded because of the “easiness of the way”?
Nephi’s request was answered by the Lord “visiting” him and softening his heart. The result of this experience was a belief in his father’s word and an increased willingness to obey. He gains such a sure knowledge of this principle that he is later able to testify strongly of it.
Because of his experience, look for what Nephi knows.
1 Nephi 3:7 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.
Nephi knows the Lord will always provide us with the power to obey if we “will” simply “go and do it."
Nephi became converted to the principle of obedience and learned for himself the ways of the Lord. We can follow this same process and learn for ourselves as well.
Be prepared... a test of faith is on the way for Nephi.

No comments: