Sunday, June 21, 2009

I Married Santa Claus

What better day to honor the father of my children than that of Father’s Day. While searching for some profound wisdom I could share about Fathers I found the following nugget:

“There are three stages of a man's life: He believes in Santa Claus, he doesn't believe in Santa Claus, he is Santa Claus.”

For some reason this quote really hit home for me, perhaps it is because I am married to Santa Claus.

For the past several years my husband has really been Santa Claus. While serving in the Bishopric of the ward, the activities committee came to him with a very big problem. Search as they might, they simply could not find anyone willing to play the role of Santa for the ward Christmas party. Albeit reluctant at first, my husband consented to fill the position required. That night he saw first hand the expression of childlike innocence and unconditional love that was given by the children, to one they held in such high esteem. He was hooked, and now each Christmas Eve my very own Santa makes visits to children in our area and unselfishly provides service for anyone who calls. Yes, Santa is precisely who he is.

"DEAR EDITOR: I am 8 years old.

Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus.

Papa says, 'If you see it in THE SUN it's so.'

Please tell me the truth; is there a Santa Claus?

VIRGINIA O'HANLON.

115 WEST NINETY-FIFTH STREET

VIRGINIA, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except [what] they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men's or children's, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, VIRGINIA, there is a Santa Claus.

“He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy.”

My very own Santa, the love of my life, the father of my children, this wonderful man is an example of love, generosity, and devotion. It is simply who he is. He shows unconditional love for me, his wife, as well as for his children, and those who become his children by osmosis. He generously gives to any who has a need, and goes the extra mile to even supply all our wants too. His devotion to his God, his church, his family, his job, and his friends is seen in the life he lives.

“Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.”

My husband has charm. He swept me off my feet the minute I saw him. Those who are fortunate to call him their friend have been made better because of his influence in their life. He has a sense of humor and a quick wit. He is a wonderful conversationalist. All of these qualities pale next to his dedication and love for the Lord. He is prayerful and humble. He is faithful and obedient. He is valiant. He brings light into the home and his presence is continually sought after by his children. He always has, and always will, make his family his biggest concern. He gives all of our lives meaning.

“Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.”

Yet, most of his deeds go unnoticed. Things like, his daily drive to work made as a sacrifice for a better life for his family. He has given support both financially and emotionally to children that are not his own. He has supported missionaries anonymously as they desired to serve the Lord but could not afford the monthly payments. He has supplied numerous family Christmas celebrations for those who would have gone without. Every week he feeds the masses and opens up his home because of the love he has in his heart for his young adult friends. He has become a counselor and a father figure to many who have felt a void in their lives in that area. As an employer he is fair and giving. He is patient and kind. He is compassionate and true.

“You may tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond.”

My husband has strength and power in his righteousness. He honors his priesthood and the covenants he has made. The fidelity he gives to the Lord, his wife, and his family allows us to part the veil and helps us to see eternity. He understands who he is, and values the important job he has been given as the patriarch of our family. He gives us all clarity and vision. He helps us to see the supernal beauty and glory beyond.

“No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives, and he lives forever.”

The way my husband lives his life, and the influence he is for good, will be his legacy forever. My fondest desire is to be by his side in the eternities creating, building, and progressing, with our family close at hand. He is a wonderful father. Through him and the covenants we have made together, we have been promised that the desires of our hearts will be made sure. Yes, we certainly must thank our Heavenly Father for the very opportunity we have been given to receive these blessings in our lives. For the sacrifice He made of His son, who lives so that we too may live forever. That is the perfect example of a Fathers love for His children. The father of my children looks to that example and applies it in his life. For this I will be eternally grateful.

Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Claus.

I should know I am married to him.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

What a wonderful tribute to Brother D! He is definitely all those things you said. He is an example of the type a man I hope to marry. I miss seeing him every week but he and his jokes (raise the roof) are always with me!

Donna B. Nielsen said...

Hi-this is Donna Nielsen. I am in California for a while and my son-in-law's computer won't let me post comments to my blog. If you can send me your email address, Id like to answer your question. My email is donnalvsbooks@yahoo.com.

CUTE SANTA PICTURE!

shawna henrie said...

greg was always a great "second father" to my kids. love what you say about him...and all true. i feel lucky to have rubbed shoulders with him the few years we lived a couple houses down from you. good times. thank you, greg for being the example you are...of what a husband and father should be.